.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

look what i did!

Last night was our Reflections awards night. Usually the awards are fairly simple...sit in chairs, call up the winners, clap, take a picture, eat a cookie and go home. This year they tried the creative approach. They had us sit at the lunchroom tables. The tables were covered with paper and there was playdough, markers, pencils, stickers, etc. for the kids to decorate their tables. There was also a table full of snacks and treats. I think it all sounded great, but reality hit hard. The playdough was so sticky...it stuck to the table, fingers, clothes, floor...serious mess. The cupcakes were the huge Costco kind, with red and green frosting. Every one of my kids had lovely green/red teeth. I had them swish around some water to lessen the color before the awards were handed out. Needless to say, creative was more fun for the kids but I'm betting clean-up took forever!

"Can't open wide enough!"

"This green sugar is going to make my teeth a nice shade of green!"

"Hey...I'm not in pictures tonight! I'll eat whatever I want!"



Carter and Lady placed in the top three for their entries, photography and literature. Maddy was honorable mention for photography. All three were super excited that there projects went on to regionals. Maddy is already planning to enter "like every category. Then I'll have a better chance at winning more stuff!" And yes, I have explained that we do reflections for fun, not to win...but really, all every kid wants is a cheap trophy saying they won something.

While the kids were winning at reflections, Kenzie was getting ready for Young Women in Excellence night. She displayed a some pictures of herself with the horses at Courage Reins, along with her volunteer t-shirt. She shared some of her experiences with volunteering, so sweet. It was a fun night to honor the girls and all their hard work this year on their personal progress. Kenzie has set a goal to finish all of her personal progress by the time she is 13. Her 10 hour projects are finished, and she just has a few more experiences to complete. Apparently she is my daughter...such an overachiever...and of course, we couldn't be happier about that!

2 comments:

Nickie said...

What a fun night. Way to go kids!! Tell Kenzi to keep it up. I love the ones that are a little self motivated - helps us leaders a lot. You must be doing something right cause you have 5 great kids!

Adrienne said...

High achiever is right. I wish I could get the girls in our ward to be as ambitious..