.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

R.A.D. Kids Graduation

Today was Maddy's R.A.D. Kids graduation. RAD kids is a program the kids do at school as part of P.E. They learn 3 basic rules:
1. No one has the right to hurt me
2. I don't have the right to hurt anyone else.
3. If someone is hurting me, I do what I can to make them stop (fight back, run, tell an adult)
The program is taught weekly for 3-4 months. Today's graduation was their chance to fight back and get somewhere safe.

Serious kicking ability in that girl!
When approached by a stranger, the kids take this stance and yell "Stay back! You're not my dad! (or mom)"


After gearing up, Maddy was ready to fight the "Man in Red"...a.k.a. police officer in his safe suit. He grabs the kids and makes them fight hard to get free and run to the safe zone. We all yell and cheer for them...It's a great way to empower kids.


When Maddy was done, I asked her what her favorite part was. "Well....I was good at peppering his eyes, but I really wanted to head butt him! They don't teach the first graders to head butt...you have to be big like me (yeah...because Maddy is sooo big and scary!). And I elbowed him hard!"

Well...our little Maddy is now a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully she won't use any of her new moves on her siblings!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maddy is so fierce! Tell her congratulations from Aunt Lindsey!

lovell said...

What a neat program! I lovel that they learn all of the things that keep them safe. I wonder if our school does it?