.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

thunder...lightening...wind...tent

Which one of those title words does not fit with the others? Tim left Wednesday for a 3 day backpacking adventure with the older kids. They went to the Crystal Lake trailhead in the Uintas and hiked to....some lake....Silver lake maybe? They set up camp and had their traditional steak and potato dinner. By the time they went to bed, the first major summer storm had rolled in. The lightening and thunder kept them up all night. Instead of a day of fishing, they packed up today and headed for home. They were muddy, wet, and smokey when they pulled in...Maddy had a freshly spilled chocolate shake all down her shirt (at least it wasn't throw up this time!). The kids had a ball, even though it was only for one night. And after listening to the wind for the last few hours, and hearing about all the lightening strikes and fires, I'm glad everyone is safe here and not up on the mountain!

Eatin' dinner on a rock...so very proud.

Maddy diggin' in.

Camp....before the rain.

Carter drowning out the sound of the storm.

The boys (yes, Tim is still a 12 year old boy at heart!)

Are they wearing ponchos? I can't be sure, but I think those things that make my children look like oversized bugs are ponchos! They really have no idea how funny they look!

You could get lost in one of those!

The rain must have stopped at some point!
So glad Tim is willing to do this with the kids. They look forward to it every summer. I am way to big of a wimp to camp without a water source (CLEAN water source) and some sort of outhouse (no bushes for me!). In a few more years, Tim can take all 5 kids....think of all the stuff I can do while they're gone!

3 comments:

Candy said...

how fun! Tim is such a great dad, and those kids will remember that trip forever!
Way to tough it out in the rain and wind!

Nickie said...

I'm with you - I have to have water and electric hook ups are nice also. Glad they had a somewhat fun time and are home safe. That was a scary storm.

Magic Marker said...

It looks like fun, but I'm glad that they are home and safe! It was a crazy few days with those storms. OUr power went out in Mapleton for almost 6 hours that first night! I can't imagine being out camping during that:)