.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crayon + Dryer = 2 hours of clean up!

We came home from my mom's tonight around 8 p.m. We were busy putting kids to bed, brushing teeth. . you know, all the before bed stuff. I remembered there was a load of clothes in the dryer that had been sitting since yesterday. I ran out and turned on the dryer to fluff the wrinkles back out of the clothes so I could fold them. If I had opened the dryer, I would have realized that the last thing the clothes needed was more heat. Jace had left a blue, sparkle crayon in his pocket. The dryer was coated in melted crayon and every piece of clothing had melted chunks of crayon everywhere. . . nice.

Since this wasn't my first crayon melting incident, I knew that Goof Off would take care of the dryer. The clothes however, were a different matter. Thankfully, most of the clothes were play clothes, so I didn't feel too bad about throwing out about half of them. On the rest, I scraped off as much crayon as I could. Then I soaked them with water and sprayed on Simple Green (no idea if that will do anything). Currently, the clothes are in the washer and I'm biding time, waiting to see if any of it comes out. I have damp towels inside the dryer on high heat. I'm hoping they come out white, not blue. Apparently, I need to be more diligent about checking pockets from now on. . . .although, that's exactly what I said after the red crayon incident, and now I also have a blue crayon incident. Lucky me!

4 comments:

Shavon said...

Oh, I feel for you! I HATE when things get left in pockets (we usually leave gum or chapstick--both not fun)! A blue sparkle crayon takes the cake though! Good thing our kids are CUTE!

Christy said...

That is my worst nightmare. I hate checking pockets. I play a lot of russian roulette. (Sp?) Just hoping I don't find something like a crayon in my dryer. Usually I wash my car keys. The electronic device doesn't like to be washed very well!

Nickie said...

If you made it through that with some sanity leftover I praise you. I don't know what I would have done. Hang in there! We all feel your pain!

Kath said...

Oh man! We had a similar near miss a few weeks ago. The downside of crayons, I suppose. I missed a little eraser in Porter's pocket one day that melted in the dryer...but luckily it only spread to the outside of the pocket, nothing else. I am so sorry! What a mess. Good thing kids are so darn cute!