.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Liver Day!

February 7th is Liver Day at our house. 2009 marks seven years since my car accident, and seven years since 2/3 of my liver was removed. For anyone who doesn't already know, I was broadsided by a propane tanker...the driver plowed through a stop sign right into my little Mazda. The impact was so hard, my shoes flew right off my feet. Maddy and Carter walked away, or rather were carried away in their car seats, with nothing but bumps and bruises. This is my car--totalled! The dent in the roof and the break in the window are from the tires of the tanker coming up and over my car. The tanker flipped over. The driver climbed out and pulled me and my kids out, with the help of a school bus driver. They were worried the tanker was going to explode...thankfully, it didn't.

I was not as lucky as my kids. I had a lacerated liver, collapsed lung, bruised kidneys...those were the big ones. I came through surgery...barely...and was put on a vent. There were literally hundreds of prayers offered in my behalf that night, and for the next several weeks, I made a slow but steady recovery. This is me two days after the surgery. Would you believe they still hadn't washed my hair yet? And it was caked with blood in the back (apparently during surgery, some of the blood pooled under my head---gross!) I do remember bits of my surgery. My blood pressure was so low, that had to quit giving me the anesthetic. I heard the stapler as they were stapling my incision closed...that is a weird feeling!
I have a lovely 11 inch scar--shaped like an upsidedown checkmark, that follows my rib cage. My liver regrew within a year of the accident...amazing what our bodies can do. This event was life changing for my family. We are all stronger because of what we went through together. We were part of a miracle. And so, every year, we celebrate Liver Day. I am reminded of the power of prayer, and how anything is possible with faith. Happy Liver Day!

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

I remember that - I've never seen pictures - it seems all so unreal now - It was awful being so far away when Tim called me. I too am grateful for prayer and the miracles that come with it - so I am going to have to mark Happy Liver Day on my calendar from now on. Love you.

Nickie said...

I still remember Kathryn calling me with that news. Oh Danielle, we are so blessed that you and the kids made it through. I hope you had a great "Liver Day"!! Love ya!

Christy said...

Happy Liver Day!

bspeck said...

I cannot imagine going through that...it IS amazing what our bodies can do and I'm glad that you can celebrate liver day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me cry. That was such a horrible time. I will never forget the call I got that day. I am so glad that you are here to celebrate "liver day"! Anyone who knows the full story can attest to the fact that angels were watching over you! I am so thankful for you! XOXOXO

Candy said...

WOW! I remember hearing about your accident and how worried we all were. I'm so happy you celebrate liver day, to renew your faith in the Lord. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures...what a horrible accident, and I am so thankful you made it through. so scary.

Ora said...

We're sooo happy that you and the kids are still around! Happy (late) liver day and many more to follow.

The Meyer Family said...

Danielle, thanks for sharing your story and your testimony. You are an inspiration! I'm glad we got to be in the temple to celebrate with you. I'll have to put the date on my calendar. Love you. Jen

Kath said...

I remember that day, too! These are the first pictures I have seen - I was so so so worried about you! I am so thankful that you were watched over that day! You guys are the cutest family ever. It is amazing how the hard times end up being the ones that tie you the closest together.